History

The American Hotel was originally built ca. 1840 by Nicholas LaRue from nearby Esperance, New York and remained in operation until the 50’s when it became a religious retreat for various Jewish congregations.

The hotel was eventually abandoned for close to 30 years before current owners Doug Plummer and Garth Roberts purchased the decaying structure in 1996. After an extensive five year renovation, the American proudly re-opened its doors to the public on May 23, 2001 & operated a popular restaurant for 21 years. 

Now celebrating its 22nd season, the American Hotel has become a favorite getaway to thousands of visitors. With a village-wide revitalization underway, Sharon Springs hosts many events throughout the year including The Garden & Flower Festival and the annual Run 4 The Hills for First Responders.

American Hotel before and after extensive 5-year renovation